Watch: Julie Andrews Reveals She Won’t Be in ‘The Princess Diaries 3’
Anne Hathaway knows sometimes you just have to breakaway.
After her Princess Diaries costar Julie Andrews, 90, shared she wouldn’t be returning for the film’s third installment, Hathaway reflected on the queen of Genovia officially stepping back from the throne.
“First of all, I just want to say if she has a change of heart, we’re down,” Hathaway told Entertainment Tonight in an interview published Aug. 17. “But we also want to be respectful. For goodness sakes, if anybody has contributed to the world of entertainment and to our collective joy, it’s her.”
But that’s not to say the team behind the franchise didn’t try to hold court.
“Whatever she wants, we completely understand,” the Devil Wears Prada star noted. “We did push really hard to see if she would want to do it.”
As for the premise of the third film itself, Hathaway, 43, simply hopes fans won’t be able to shut up once they’ve watched.
“I just want it to be fun,” she explained. “The women who were six when the first one came out a lot of whom are now mothers themselves, maybe even with 6-year-olds. I want them to feel like they’re bringing their children to something that mattered to them, a core memory for them, something that was a part of their heart and their lives.”
“And that means doing it justice and that means taking the time that it takes to really build it right,” she added. “That’s a lot of pressure, but I feel like this is a great team.”
Moviestore/Shutterstock
Hathaway’s insight into the royal production comes after Andrews confirmed she would be passing her crown down as Queen Clarisse.
“I’m not going to be in it,” Andrews told Today.com in an interview published Aug. 10. “I think the story is slightly different, and I’m not quite sure how they’re dealing with that. But it’s too late for me to do it. I think the story has to continue in Princess Mia.”
Indeed, the Bridgerton star noted, “It’s her story. It’s not really mine.”
And as for onscreen roles altogether, Andrews is much too busy focusing on the ton.
“I think I’m retired, really, would be about the best description for that,” she told InStyle, adding that the film’s creative team asked her “all last year” if she “would be keen to do it.”
“It was very, very hard to say ‘no,’” she admitted, “but I did.”
Keep reading to see what the Princess Diaries cast is up to now…
Ron Batzdorff/Brownhouse Prod/Botnp Inc/Kobal/Shutterstock, Owen Hoffmann/Getty Images for Netflix
Ron Batzdorff/Brownhouse Prod/Botnp Inc/Kobal/Shutterstock, Lester Cohen/Getty Images for Universal Music Group
Moviestore Collection/Shutterstock, Charles Sykes/Bravo
Ron Batzdorff/Brownhouse Prod/Botnp Inc/Kobal/Shutterstock, Joshua Blanchard/Getty Images for IFC Films
Walt Disney Pictures, Noam Galai/Getty Images for Tibet House
Ron Batzdorff/Brownhouse Prod/Botnp Inc/Kobal/Shutterstock, Kris Connor/Getty Images for Utopia
Walt Disney Pictures, Getty Images
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News App






